Appendix VII Speedside School
The early history of the school is not an orderly story.
In 1840 a school of "rough-cast" construction had been built on the west half of lot 17, concession 2 to serve about 50 local students.¹ It was known as the McCormick school and as S.S.#3. Two years later in 1842, "S.S.#3 was re-established as a frame schoolhouse erected on the property of Mr. Hewitson, on the north corner of lot 26, concession 1"¹. Also in 1842, "Chairman of the School Board, John Harris, purchased a part of lot 27, concession 1, from Joseph Wood to erect a school. The next year James Black, the new Chairman, bought one half of an acre of lot 26, concession 1 from Katherine McDonald".²
Segment of the Township of Eramosa, 1850
The school, indicated by "a" on the map, is shown on lot 26 in 1850. Obviously, exactly where the original school was is not clear. One pioneer said that it was a log building built a little to the south of the 1861 stone structure.² The current structure appears to be on the corner of lot 27, approximately where the "*" is on the map.
S.S.#3/#4, Speedside School, built in 1861. The belfry dates from 1897² Picture taken in 2006 by Tom Loghrin.
A tax bill in 1867 identified the Speedside school as S.S.#3.² Five years later, in 1872, a school was built on lot 20, concession 2 and it was identified as S.S.#3, Johnson's school.¹ Upon reorganization in the township in 1870 the Speedside school had become S.S. #4.³
A wooden teacher's house was built in 1886.² Reorganization took place again in 1888 when S.S.#4½ was created. The school was closed in the 1960s. Now it is a private residence.
¹ Deborah Quaile, Eramosa Anecdotes, (Ayton: Wordbird Press, 2007), p. 171.
² Quaile, p. 173.
³ Frank Day, Here and There in Eramosa, (Guelph: Leaman Printing Co., 1953), p. 24-25.