Appendix VI Selected Lot Histories in the 1800s
Most of this information has been assembled from three maps: 1850¹, 1877² and 1906³. Hold your cursor on the red asterisk to get the history of that lot.
Speedside and Barrie Hill, 1906³
The Loghrin homestead, lot 25, con. 2, was settled in 1828 and still owned by William in 1850. He died in 1859 and his son Thomas took ownership for a time. In 1877, two years after Thomas's death, his son James owned the land. James died in 1882 and his wife Matilda continued farming; in 1906, their son William owned the land. William sold it in 1945.
Alexander Loghrin farmed this lot adjacent to the homestead until his death in 1844. His oldest brother, James, owned the lot in 1850. In 1906 ownership had passed to Martha Jane Loghrin, James' daughter.
This lot 22, con.1, in 1850 was owned by William Armstrong, James Loghrin's father-in-law; in 1877 Alexander Loghrin, James' nephew and ancestor for so many of us was the owner. After his death in 1878, his widow Fannie (Monteith) Loghrin moved back to her family's home near Stratford. The farm was owned by James McQueen in 1906.
Two lots in Nichol township across the road from lot 22, con. 1 were owned by "Heirs of William Loghrin" in 1877. Thomas and Mary Loghrin lived on one of these lots from ~1835 to ~1862.
From 1863 to 1913 Speedside had a Post Office established on the N.W. corner of James Loghrin's farm. The Congregational Church was diagonally across the road on the William S. Armstrong farm from 1855. In 1906 additional buildings were identified as a blacksmith shop and public library.
No. 3 (Speedside) school was built in 1843 on the corner of lot 27, con. 1 and upon reorganization in the township in 1870 it became No. 4.*
Barrie Hill seems to have been a loose association of the Presbyterian church on the S.E. corner of lot 21, Con.1, the glebe, the Johnson Cemetery and the school across from it in the central portion of lot 20, con. 2.
¹ Frank Day, Here and There in Eramosa , (Guelph: Leaman Printing Co., 1953), p. 42 (Insert).
² Illustrated Atlas of the County of Wellington, (Toronto: Walker & Miles, 1877).
³ Day, p. 138 (Insert).
* Day, p. 24 - 25
^ Deborah Quaile, Eramosa Anecdotes, (Ayton: Wordbird Press, 2007), p. 11.
Deputy Surveyor, Samuel Ryckman, surveyed the township in 1819 and the first patent was issued to him for this lot 26, con. 2.
In 1850, this lot 25, con. 1, was owned by James Loghrin. In 1906 ownership had passed to his daughter, Elizabeth Loghrin.
The Johnson Cemetery, where so many of our ancestors are buried, was opened in 1874 by Captain Archie Johnson on his farm for burial of members of the Barrie Hill Church. It was formerly also known as Union Cemetery.
Johnson's School, S.S. #3, was built in 1871; it is a brick building and was opened in 1872.^