Letters & Papers Pertaining to the Life and Times of Samuel (Sam) Monteith Loghrin, b. 1876¹
Contents of this appendix
1. Letter from Alexander Loghrin to his sister-in-law, Jane Anne Monteith
2. Letter from Alexander Loghrin to his brother-in-law Samuel Nelson Monteith
3. Letter from Alexander Loghrin to his father-in-law, Samuel Monteith
These first three letters² were written by Sam's father, Alex, to several members of the Monteith family. Alex, Fannie and family farmed in Eramosa Township north of Guelph; the Monteiths lived near Stratford. Alex commented on farm operations, the baby (Sam), and family relationships. His wife, Fannie, traveled to Stratford with Sam several times.³
4. Letter from Samuel Monteith Loghrin to his brother Thomas Alexander Loghrin*
This letter is Sam's very descriptive account of his trip to Europe in 1903; his tour included England, France and Switzerland.
5. Letter from Samuel Monteith Loghrin to his uncle, Hon. Samuel Nelson Monteith.**
6. Summary of 18th Battalion War Diary with Sam Loghrin and Don Jeffrey Service Files.
7. Letter from Samuel Monteith Loghrin to his mother Frances Matilda (Monteith) (Loghrin) Jeffrey^
8. The circumstances of Sam Loghrin's death from The War Diary^^
Sam's wife, Jessie Scholz, died on Oct. 6, 1914; a month later Sam was in London, Ontario organizing 116 men in the Stratford Company for war. His half-brother, Don Jeffrey, enlisted in 1915 and, as fate would have it, they served together in the 18th battalion and died in the same battle on September 15, 1916. The letters and papers trace the involvement of both men as they served overseas.
¹ The letters are presented with as little editing as possible.
² These three letters were contributed by Nancy Elizabeth (McKay) Benjamin, granddaughter of Nelson Monteith, Feb. 25, 2013.
³ Alex died in 1878 just a few months after their second son, Tom, was born.
* This letter was contributed by Samuel Dallas Loghrin, great grandson of Alex Loghrin and Fannie Monteith, Feb. 2, 2005.
** This letter was contributed by Nancy Elizabeth (McKay) Benjamin.
^ This letter was contributed by Marian (Jeffrey) MacLeod, great granddaughter of Fannie Monteith and William Jeffrey, May 8, 2013.
^^ Information from the War Diary and Service Records was contributed by Michael Jeffrey Loghrin, great great grandson of Fannie Monteith and Alex Loghrin.